Prep & Safety
You will receive very detailed instructions to prepare for your study. The quality of your scan depends on your adherence to these directions, so it is very important to follow them closely. If you have any questions about this procedure, please call our office to speak to a specialist. Prep may vary based on your study. Please be sure to review the instructions specific to your study.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 6 hours before your exam, with the exception of water.
- Drink 3-4 8-oz glasses of water within 4 hours prior to your test; empty your bladder as often as needed.
- If your doctor has told you to take your regular medicine, you may take it with water.
- Eat a low-carbohydrate diet the day before your exam. Foods allowed include meat, tofu, hard cheeses, eggs, unsweetened peanut butter, oil, margarine, butter and non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and green beans.
- Do not eat: cereals, pasta, dry beans, sugar, candy, bread, rice, alcohol, gravy, jams, jellies, honey, and starchy vegetables like peas, corn, and potatoes.
- Limit exercise the day before your exam.
- Do not consume nicotine or caffeine 4 hours prior to your exam.
Please tell your doctor if you’ve ever had an allergic reaction to an enhancing agent or iodine; special medicine may be prescribed for you to take before your exam. If you are anxious about the test, or are claustrophobic, tell your physician before the day of your exam. Your doctor may choose to prescribe medicine to help you relax. Other nuclear medicine procedures should not be scheduled the same day as your PET/CT exam.
For your safety, please notify our scheduling department and technologists if you:
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to an enhancing agent or iodine.
- Find it difficult or uncomfortable to lie flat on your back.